Friday, July 8, 2011

BAD DAY

As most of you are aware we had the worst thing that could happen in a competition happen and it happened twice in one day. We lost two of our pilots to accidents yesterday. They were from Argentina and Chile. As you can imagine it has been extremely somber around here and there is much talk of abandoning the competition. I am unsure of my views as they are mixed and it depends on when you ask me. I took the day off and went exploring a 12th century castle in a little village then went for a swim with the team in a great little river spot. It was a great chance to discuss and reflect on why we do this. I was left with nothing beats a great day of flying with my friends. So for now I will stay and see what comes of the many meetings on whether this competition can be saved by using a different format. I also may just hang up my hat and choose a different way to spend my time while in Spain. I am lucky that I have the support of all of you back home and know that you will all hopefully accept my decision whatever that may be. But life is too important
Cheers
Keith

3 comments:

Stewart Midwinter said...

Keith, Brett, Claudio - my thoughts are with you at this difficult moment. I have known Tato Vargas for 20 years so this hits me too. Then too, the last time I was in piedrahita, as a CIVL judge I had to deal with the consequences of a mid-air fatality, and that was very hard.

Rest assured that all of us back home will support our team (that's you!) whatever you decide. Be well, and fly safe!

Tim said...

"Nothing beats a day of good flying."
I know what you mean Keith. Go with your gut and have as much fun as possible, and get home safe.

Tough times for PG folks. I hope the Championships are salvageable.

Tim

Nicole McLearn said...

Hey guys,

I'm with you, whatever you decide to do. I remember what happened at the Worlds in 2009 so I can imagine what you guys are having to go through. Fly safe!